Cofounder and Vice President Brendan Philp shares his team's tools and tricks for working when not on campus at StartWell.
How are you maintaining routine as a team - through the day and the week?
We are maintaining our sprint planning on the same schedule as well as our morning scrums with video calls instead of physical stand ups. We've also added new routines to keep the team connected like weekly socials and live working sessions over video chat.
Are you carving out time to socialize online together - if so, what do you guys do and how technically is this achieved?
We have a weekly social just like StartWell on Thursdays no less! On Fridays we've been doing a little round up at the end of the day to play some games and bring up any challenges we've had. We've lastly scheduled "brown bag hours" which are informal fun presentations.
Favorite video conferencing application and why?
So far we use Uberconference for external calls since the rooms are static and the audio quality is good. For internal we use GSuite. That being said, Zoom is the only one we've found with breakout rooms which would be a great feature for things like socials.
Compared to meeting in person, how has it felt to rely on digital communication tools to speak with:
Clients: Our clients know we already had work from home days so that wasn't a big challenge, it's more been them adapting to working from home and being empathetic to that on our end.
Colleagues/team-members: We've had to make sure we're listening to all our team members are stress levels are high with the amount of negativity in the media and their isolation from others. Letting people try their own ideas to stay connected and making sure we check in with everyone consistently is essential.
Partners: For partners who don't often work remote, we've had to adapt to understanding that their original timelines are not always realistic as they bring their operations remote. We've helped with advice, and lots of ad hoc calls to help them adapt.
Any other software or other tools you've started using because of not coming together in person?
We've used Jackbox to play games together, Jukebot (a slack plugin) to have a communal playlist so we can all listen to the same music, and Teamwork for project management.
What do you miss most about being together?
Collaboration and connection. No matter how good digital connectivity is, you can't connect emotionally the same way over text or video as seeing someone face to face.
Why are you looking forward to coming back together at StartWell?
OMG the natural light, meeting rooms, broader socials, and decorating our new office.... I have plans...
Are there specific features/amenities of membership here at StartWell which the team misses - collectively or individually?
We miss the coffee bar for the random chats and meeting fellow business owners.
How will you work differently when you come back to the office?
We won't to be honest, aside from being far more grateful for what we have and what we get at StartWell. We're blessed to transition to WFH without a lot of difficulty so we won't change ourselves too much coming back.
Explore related articles in the StartWell Magazine
- Queen's University - Research on the Road (Dec 1, 2023)
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau visits StartWell for Black History Month
- Live Jazz in downtown Toronto at StartWell | Nov 23, 2023
- Live Jazz in downtown Toronto at StartWell | Oct 19 2023
- What Klaviyo's BFCM 2023 event in Toronto looked like
- AUXGOD League Championship (Event Recap)
- CineThrive - An Award-Winning Short Film Screening Party at StartWell
- Singapore Global Network's 2023 Collision Happy Hour at StartWell
- The Jazz Offsite /Project at StartWell (June 22, 2023)
- Plug and Play Toronto on hosting a micro-conference at StartWell's Event Studio
- Film stills from the 2023 FILCASA Summit
- What the co-founders of the world's best snoring solution think of StartWell Studios
- How Betakit - Canada's top startup & innovation publication, works with StartWell
- On Running - Seasonal showroom popup venue at StartWell
- The Jazz Offsite /Project at StartWell (April 27, 2023)
- Introducing the ‘Board’ - a mastermind for Ukrainian Founders in Toronto at StartWell
- The Jazz Offsite Project – March 23, 2023
- Nathaniel Gardner shares tips for potential investors leading up to his April event
- The Jazz Offsite Project - Feb 23, 2023
- Toronto book launch for Nikolas Badminton's Facing Our Futures - at StartWell's Event Studio
- Client feature: Gents Talk Podcast on the CBC - 'Our Toronto'
- Our year in review - 2022
- How McRock Capital turned to StartWell Studios for a unique holiday music video
- Discussing SMB Debt - With StartWell, Jeeves & Silicon Valley Bank [Event]
- StartWell is the new home of Startup Grind Toronto
- StartWell's New King Street Patio is Open
- TechTO Summer Social May 2022 [Event Recap]
- TechTO X StartWell Coworking Days
- Our CYC Studio Now Comes Pre-Lit
- Are Meetings The New Office?
- StartWell's Founder Qasim Virjee Looks Back on 2021
- Introducing our new coworking space design guide
- Introducing the Green Room, a bookable lounge at StartWell
- Announcing The StartWell Futurist Residency
- Ascari At Home - Not Your Average Risotto
- How the Elevated Stylist Retreat Went Online from StartWell in 2020
- Jody Kezar & Sonia Yarkhani, Event Hosts (Elevated Stylist Retreat)
- Highlights from the 2020 Elevated Stylist Retreat
- An invitation to the 2020 Hybrid Event Conference by StartWell
- Contextualizing new opportunities for event space
- Discussing the state of Toronto's events industry - BizBash panel featuring StartWell
- Our commitment to sharing authentic stories from innovators & entrepreneurs
- Lessons from Remote Work: Digital 55
- Delta Growth at Home
- Our Podcast is Now on Spotify
- Mid March Campus Updates
- Dark Futures 2019 at StartWell, presented by Nik Badminton
- StartWell's campus in King West expands with a new building on Niagara Street